S. FRIEDMAN, WHO HAS Recently purchased the old Odd Fellows' block, corner of Fourth and Kittson, has started on the building an extensive job of remodeling. The main floor is being lowered to street level, the basement is being deepened and other improvements are to be made. In removing a quantity of forgotten material which had been stored in the basement there were found a number of leftovers from the printing plant of George Wheeler, who did commercial printing there some 40 years ago. Among the litter was a souvenir book of East Grand Forks, published by W. L. Dudley in 1891, with text and illustrations in the form popular at that time for city ""writeups."" DUDLEY'S STORY OF EAST Grand Forks begins appropriately with an account of a visit to the locality of W. C. Nash, who later founded the city. Mr. Nash, a native of Pennsylvania, located at Fort Abercrombie, about 100 miles south of the Forks, about 1860. In 1863, being in poor health, he was advised by his physician to try roughing it for a while, and pursuant to that advice he joined an expedition led by Major Hatch, of Fort Snelling, in search of two Indian chiefs who had been leaders in the massacres of 1862 and were supposed to be hiding somewhere in the northwestern corner of Minnesota. THE MILITARY EXPEDITION got as far as the junction of the Pembina river with the Red, at the international boundary, after camping en route at ""The Forks."" Temporary quarters were built for the soldiers at what is now Pembina, and scouts sent out from there reported that the Indians had escaped into British territory. Mr. Nash went on to Fort Garry and spent the winter there. While there he learned that the two Indians were at a camp about 25 miles from Fort Garry. By a ruse they were persuaded to visit the trading post, where they were kidnapped by a small party headed by Mr. Nash and hurriedly brought across the border. Later they were taken to Fort Snelling and executed. This abduction was in violation of international usage, but it has been understood that the military authorities at Fort Gary made a determined effort to know nothing of what was going on. AFTER CARRYING MAIL Under the government contract between Fort Abercrombia and Pembina for five years, and superintending the construction of government buildings at Pembina in 1869, Mr. Nash established himself permanently at East Grand Forks, Forks, building there the first house, just opposite the sugar factory, and acquiring title to the farm land on which the sugar plant is situated. AMONG THE ILLUSTRATION in the old book are some excellent views of the city, one or two of the lumber mill, which was later burned, and many portraits of local residents. Of those whose portraits appear, most are gone, but there are still a few left. A portrait of T. A. Sullivan, who at that early period had been mayor of the city, is easily recognizable, as is one of J. C. Sherlock, Harry Harm, now mayor, was pictured as city clerk, and H. A. Bronson is shown with a thick shock of exceedingly black hair. EAST GRAND FORKS Consisted originally of a little settlement near the Great Northern station. Between the village and the river there was a stretch of unoccupied -territory, and to reach the pontoon bridge at DeMers avenue one came down a rather steep hill. When the river was high it was necessary to climb a steep gangway to get onto the bridge. When North Dakota went dry with statehood in 1887 the Grand Forks saloons moved across the river and a boom was started which resulted in the removal of the entire business section to the territory near the river.